Tuesday, December 1, 2009

How Do You Reason With An 11-Month Old

who wants to take her favorite blanket into the bath with her? I tried to explain that if it gets wet, she won't be able to sleep with it. But she doesn't understand that concept yet. I tried gently taking it away. There was a struggle and tears. I tried to distract her by offering another toy. She held on to the blanket while playing. Finally, she dropped it by accident and I seized the moment to whisk her into the bath before she could realize what happened. I was lucky that time but I'm sure that won't always be the case. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope I don't sound mean - but just do what's right, be firm and if she cries or throws a tantrum, so be it. This is how infants learn who is in charge... Of course, distracting is an excellent tactic, if it works.