Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Weaning

I've been weaning Tali from breastfeeding for the past 2 1/2 weeks and today was her first day without any breastfeedings. The last one to be cut was the morning feeding and she was not happy this morning. She didn't want milk in a cup and just cried and cried and cried until I gave her breakfast. She refused to drink from the cup the whole meal (although she did cheer up).

Tali wasn't the only one upset about this - it has been very hard on me. Before I began weaning, I thought I was ready. But once it started, it was hard both physically and emotionally. For me (and many others), breastfeeding is a very special experience that cannot be explained. It was a special bond that I shared with my daughter. I was able to provide something that no one else could provide for her. (She rarely had a bottle, and when she did it was filled with breast milk.) Once the twelfth month rolled around, I thought I was ready to wean but when it actually began, I got very sad.

I cut out the first feeding (11:00 a.m.) and was okay with it. But a few days later, Tali cut out a feeding (7:00 p.m.) and that was very hard for me. Even though I eliminated the last two feedings, it was very hard and I did so reluctantly. Now an entire phase of our lives is over. I am making myself look at the positive:

- No more nursing bras.
- No more breast pump.
- No more nursing pillow attached to my waist.
- I can have a babysitter at any time (I didn't like leaving her during a feeding time).
- I can take a vacation without Tali.
- I can drink - as much as I'd like.

Even with all of those positives, I'm still a bit sad. I'll get over it but it's going to take me longer than I originally thought.

No comments: