Monday, December 7, 2009

So Annoyed

They say that before a baby goes to sleep, she practices the skills she's working on. Tali's latest skill is dropping things. She's learning what happens when she lets go of something. Normally I just pick it up and give it back to her. If she does it repeatedly then I either remove the object or remove her from the area.

But now this new skill is starting to become her new nap-time ritual and it is driving me nuts. Starting yesterday, when I put her down for her nap she stands up in the crib, reaches over the railing and drops her blanket (which she is very attached to - can't sleep without it) on the floor. As soon as it hits the ground, she starts crying. So I go in, pick it up, put it in her crib and leave the room. A minute or two later (no, this is not an exaggeration), she drops it again. So I go back in, pick it up, put it in her crib and leave the room. This goes on for at least 30 minutes (this afternoon it was 45) and I've had it. I can't get anything done. Laundry? Nope. Dishes? Nope. Lunch? Nope. The only positive is that I'm getting a lot of exercise going up and down the stairs.

I'd like to think I have a lot of patience with her but I just can't take this. If I don't go in her room to pick up the blanket, her cries turn to hysterical screams and she starts shaking the crib. I really hope this phase ends tomorrow or I might just throw the blanket (and her) out the window. Any advice?

1 comment:

The Bean said...

yeah! Attach the blanket with string or something to the crib somehow so when she drops it she can still get it back? I would be annoyed too...don't know how you had the patience to do that for half an hour - after the 3rd time I'd say let the her cry! Gotta learn how to deal with loss eventually...