Saturday, July 4, 2009

Left or Right Handed?




Although babies don't really develop a dominant hand until they are 2 or 3 years old, I am always curious as to if Tali will be right or left handed. Being a lefty, I wonder if she'll go through the same obstacles I did or if she'll be like her dad and favor her right. There are already early signs that she might favor her left hand. Whenever she has socks on her feet, she pulls off the left one (usually to put it in her mouth). Sometimes the right one comes off as well, but the left one always comes off, usually within minutes. When she is tired, she rubs her left eye first. And, she more often grabs for toys and her pacifier with her left hand. But there are also signs that she could be right handed. When feeding her, she grabs for the spoon with her right hand. (But this could simply be because I feed her with my left so the spoon is closer to her right.) She rolls over to the right, using that arm to push herself over. And, she prefers to stick her right toes/foot in her mouth.

Being a lefty does have its advantages. Five of the last seven presidents were left handed. As a southpaw, you have an advantage in almost every sport. And, she'll learn to adapt quickly - scissors, school desks, cars, etc. were all designed for right handed people. If she does turn out to be left handed, I will work hard to show her all of the advantages to being a lefty. I'll help her to embrace it. And, I'll encourage her to ask for left-handed scissors in art class.


No comments: