Wednesday, July 15, 2009

How Rude!

One of the three grocery stores I that I shop at (can never find everything at one store) has two parking spots near the entrance with a sign that says "Customer with Infant." There's even a picture of a baby in a cart for those too lazy to read. I regularly take to Tali to the grocery store with me and yesterday was the first time I was actually able to park in one of those spots. While I appreciate the store making the effort, their customers are just rude. I can't tell you the number of times I've seen infant-free shoppers pull in or out of those spaces. Yesterday, an infant-free couple in their 70's pulled out of one of the spots right as I was driving up. Then, as I was putting Tali's car seat on the cart a woman in her 50's pulled in to the other spot. She got out infant free. I was so annoyed and very tempted to  say something to her but I restrained myself. I've regularly seen people get in or out of those spots without babies. Meanwhile, I'm pushing Tali from the back of the lot. 

No, I'm not lazy. I actually like to get exercise whenever I can and use parking lots as a good place to get a bit of a walk in. But grocery shopping with a baby requires precise planning. While Tali enjoys all the colors and people at the store, she can only stay entertained for a particular amount of time. Those extra few minutes of walking from the back of the lot can be the difference between an easy shopping trip and a total meltdown in the dairy department. Yet these infant-free parking spot stealers just don't care. One day I'm going to snap and leave a note on their cars or perhaps even make a citizen's arrest. It's just not nice to make a new mom deal with a screaming baby when it could easily be avoided.  So rude.

No comments: