Wednesday, July 22, 2009

First Food She Doesn't Like

Today Tali tried avocado for the first time and she didn't like it. I was afraid this might happen as all of the foods she's had until now have been sweet (banana, apple, pear, carrots, peach, yams) but I decided to try it anyway. Her first bite was typical of any new food - she let it sit in her mouth so that she could explore the flavor and then she swallowed. Her second bite, however, was not typical. Normally by the second bite she's loving her new food. This time, she coughed, made a face and spit some of it out. It was actually quite funny! I gave her a few more bites and she repeated that behavior each time. So I added a banana I had on hand and she tolerated the rest. Now I am giving her a new food every three days so Tali has two more days of avocado. If she doesn't like it after three days then I'll come back to it in a few weeks. My plan was to try papaya next but I think I'm going to give her broccoli so she can get used to savory foods.

No comments: