Thursday, July 16, 2009

Last (Wo)Man Standing






Out of all the moms I know with babies around Tali's age, I am the only one still exclusively breast feeding. All but one have switched completely to formula (that one is doing half and half). Some moms said they'd never do it and then just decided they wanted to make life easier for themselves. Others say their milk supply started to deplete and they didn't want to pump to bring it back. About two months ago, one mom told me she never wanted to give her baby formula because she thought it was gross. Now she says he loves the bottle. 


I am still holding out and hope to make it all the way to one year (what the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends). I actually pump every evening before bed so that I have enough milk to use for Tali's cereal the next day. Unlike many moms, I don't find it a hassle or inconvenience. In fact, I think it is the easiest way to go. If we are out longer than expected, I never have to worry if I have enough formula for her. I can feed her anywhere, anytime. Plus, I feel good knowing that I am providing her with the best nutrition I can. Tali hasn't been sick yet and I'm going to take some credit for that. And I refuse to let anyone convince me formula is better or easier. For us, breast feeding is the way to go.


1 comment:

anne said...

that's great!! I'm glad you're having such success with it. Just to clarify, though - the AAP recommends exclusively BF'ing for the first 6 months, but continuing on for a year if possible - but not exclusively. They believe the babes need the extra iron that formula provides after 6 months and say to give at least a bottle a day. At least that's what our pediatrician told us and I remember researching it to confirm and finding the same (of course, now I can't find it online but I only looked for 30 seconds).

http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/feb05breastfeeding.htm