Sunday, January 31, 2010

More?

Back in May, H and I took a baby sign language class and I started teaching Tali how to sign the word "more" in June. They say it takes 8-10 weeks for a baby to learn her first sign so I stuck with it. After about 10 weeks, I gave up. She didn't know how to clap (the sign for "more" is very similar) and didn't seem any closer to picking up the sign. I worked on it often and it was very time consuming so I felt a bit defeated but it was exhausting.

Then, about a month later H convinced me to try again. So once again I started doing "more" with her every chance I got. About 8 weeks later, we went to visit friends of H who have a brilliant son. They were talking about how they tried to teach him sign language and he never picked up on it. So I figured if this little boy couldn't get it, then I shouldn't feel bad that Tali didn't seem any closer to picking it up. So, once again, I stopped.

But today we had a breakthrough! H was giving Tali her lunch while I finished preparing ours. He started doing "more" with her and she signed back! I didn't believe him (he's tricked me before, telling me she was signing) until he continued to insist I stop and watch. This time, he was telling the truth - she finally figured out the sign! While it's not perfect yet (never is when a baby starts), she gets it. We did it again with her snack, dinner and in the bath - just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. So I'll continue with this for a week or so before I introduce a new sign. Hooray - my baby can "talk"!!


No comments: