Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Bigger, The Better

One of the first rules of feeding small children is to cut their food into tiny pieces so that they don't choke. Great idea - but not for Tali. She will actually refuse to eat some foods in small pieces and prefers to break up the bigger pieces for herself.

For example, on Friday morning I was giving her some banana as a morning snack. I cut 1/3 of the banana and put it on her tray to cut into pieces. Before I could cut the rest, she took the whole chunk of banana and started eating it herself! (She actually ate the whole banana that day - in 3 big chunks - but that's another story.)



That same afternoon, she refused to eat a blueberry blintz in pieces but when I gave her an entire square, she ate almost the whole thing.

Yesterday I gave Tali Swedish meatballs as part of her lunch. I cut it into bite-size pieces and it just sat on her tray. Then I gave her an entire meatball and she ate it.




This morning it was the same thing with her snack. I gave her toast with a spinach spread. She refused it in small pieces but enjoyed the entire piece of bread with the spread. At least she eats, right?

No comments: