Thursday, May 7, 2009

I'm not insane, promise

It's funny the thing you'll do to entertain your baby. (Okay, maybe it should be "the things I'll do...") I've been getting some strange/worried looks lately from people and I feel like I need to carry around papers proving I'm mentally stable so no one tries to call child services on me.I know these actions might seem strange to some, but remember, I have a fussy baby who needs to be entertained A LOT. 

 Here are a few examples of what gets stares:

1. Grocery Store: Tali is now awake at the grocery store. With the bright lights and all of the colors and shapes this is a fascinating place for her. Since I want to keep her entertained (otherwise she'll scream and that's no fun), I talk to her. I tell her everything I'm doing and show her what each item is. For example, "Now it's time to find the bananas. Bananas are long and yellow and mushy on the inside. Oh look, here they are! Let's pick a ripe bunch. How many do you think we need? I think three is a good number. One, two, three. In the cart they go!" 

2. Car Rides: I've enrolled Tali in a music class and she loves it. The class gives you a CD of songs so you can listen to them and learn. When she's awake in the car, I put her music on. And when the weather is nice, I roll down the windows. So I'm at a stoplight with the windows down singing along about how we're trotting to Grandma's house, cooking sweet potatoes or who's at the door. 

3. Walks with Jackson: To keep Tali entertained on walks, I point out everything she's looking at. I tell her about the trees, the grass, the sky, etc. But I also make bets with her. When Jackson begins to circle I bet her if he's going to pee or poop. Then we wait to see what he does and I tell her who won. 

When I'm inside the house, it's worse. I won't get even into the things I do to entertain her when no one is watching. 

No comments: