Saturday, September 26, 2009

Bad Mom - Missing Milestones

I receive daily e-mails from a site called What to Expect about developmental milestones based on Tali's birthday. Sometimes she's already hit the milestone and other times it's just around the corner. But the e-mail I received the other day freaked me out:

Do you recall the proud moment when your baby first learned to clap her hands? (Chances are it was sometime around the seven-month mark.) She beamed with glee at her newfound skill, and so did you. (Finally! All those rounds of patty-cake paid off!) As with so many of her milestones, your parental pride created a virtuous cycle: She was pleased with herself and saw that you were pleased, too, so she clapped again and again. And each time you reinforced her positive feelings. So what's next for those pudgy little paws? Somewhere near the nine-month mark, she'll reward you with a wave. Keep showing and telling her how to wave bye-bye, and before too long she'll give it a whirl herself.

Wait, clapping? Tali should have been clapping her hands two months ago? She's not even close! Patty-cake? We don't really play that game! Oh crap, Tali's behind and it's all because I haven't been showing her how to bake a cake as fast as she can. 

And now she's supposed to wave? I'm not even sure she gets the concept of bye-bye. How is she supposed to wave? I don't ever wave to her when I leave a room. I try to sneak out quietly while she's distracted so she doesn't cry. Now I have to tell her I'm leaving and make a scene about it? Really? I'm not sure that's such a good idea. Can't we just skip the waving? Is it really that big of a deal if she's the only kid in preschool who cannot wave and doesn't know her name?

No comments: