Thursday, November 5, 2009

Pig Protection

Tali got her first swine flu vaccination today (she gets her second one in a month). In general, I believe in vaccinations and think it's very important that your child be protected against possibly fatal diseases. However, this vaccination was a hard decision for me. There has been a lot of negative noise about this vaccine and it took me a long time to decide whether or not it was something I wanted to give to my 10 month old. I did a lot of research and spoke to Tali's doctor about the pros and cons of this shot. In the end, it seemed like the only actual complaints were simply things like soreness and fatigue - same with the regular flu shot. After doing my research, I concluded that the negative things I had heard and read were somewhat alarmist and I am chalking it up to people who like to be heard (like those who don't think our president is a U.S. citizen). Besides, if I didn't give Tali the vaccine and she suffered complications from swine flu, I would never forgive myself.

I'm sure this is just one of many difficult decisions I will have to make for Tali. I guess it's good practice - she cannot protest my choices yet. I'm happy with my choice and only hope that there will be enough vaccination left for me to get it (I have asthma so I am high risk).

Now it's time for me to go wake her up from a very long afternoon nap. Shots always make her sleepy but she should've eaten lunch 1 1/2 hours ago!

No comments: