Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Welcome Baby Eli!

Baby Eli - the spitting image of his big sister.
On Sunday June 5 at 7:46 p.m., Tali's little brother, Eli, was born. He weighed 5 lbs. 3 oz. and was 18 inches long.

The labor/birth story:

"They" say that second labors are usually quick and much easier than the first. But Eli and I are definitely the exception to that rule.

Because Eli had been measuring small, my doctor wanted to get him out (so he could grow on the outside and be properly monitored) as soon as my body showed signs it was ready. So the plan was made to induce me on Saturday evening and for me to give birth on Sunday - just about a week before my actual due date. (Everyone was surprised that I was still pregnant, given that Tali was 3 1/2 weeks early.) H and I checked into the hospital on Saturday evening and I was given cervidil a little before midnight to soften my cervix and hopefully start labor.

The next morning, when my doctor arrived, I was started on Pitocin because the cervidil didn't work. I endured seven hours of painful labor with very little progress. During this time, Eli's heart rate was regularly decreasing during contractions, worrying the doctor, doula and nurse. My Pitocin was constantly being adjusted to find a level that would progress my labor and keep his heartbeat steady.

After seven hours, I decided I was ready for an epidural. Once I was sufficiently numb, my doctor put her hand inside to correct the problem - Eli's hand was on top of his head, making his decent close to impossible. My doctor placed his hand in a better position and then my labor finally started to progress. I went from four to ten centimeters over the next three hours.  During that time, I was placed on oxygen for both the baby and myself as my blood pressure had begun to drop.

Around 7:30 p.m., my doctor came to check on me and told me I was ready to push. So, I pushed. As soon as the head came out, it was clear why his heart rate had been dropping - the cord was wrapped thightly around his neck twice and his head was turned about 180 degrees. I couldn't see anything but H said it was very scary. The doctor calmly and quickly cut the cord and Eli took his first breath. It was a long process, but we are all doing fine now and happy to be home.

Tali has been better with the baby than I expected. She is curious and asks to see him every so often. Jackson is so excited for him and constantly wants to be close to him and sniff him, tail wagging hard. So far, things are good here. Now if only I could get some sleep...

1 comment:

The Bean said...

Congrats!!! Sorry it had to be so scary though. Not a fan of that - but love your newest addition. Can't wait to hear more about life with E&T!