Tuesday, November 15, 2011

First Bites of Food


It's been a week since Eli first started food and we are already up to two full meals a day! Like his big sister,  he loves food. Unlike his big sister, I was completely unprepared to start food with him. For Tali, I had pink bowls (which she still uses), spoons, bibs, etc. For Eli, I ran to the grocery to grab some cereal, threw him in Tali's high chair (no bib), mixed his food in a plastic container and fed him with one of Tali's spoons. Of course, it didn't matter to him. He ate it all just the same.

His first bites were very similar to Tali. He accepted it right away and ate the whole bowl. (I actually gave him a bit more because he was still hungry.) At two times during his first meal I walked away from the food and he started crying! He wanted me to come back and feed him some more!

The GI doctor told me to start him on  rice cereal mixed with apple juice (calories) and a tsp of safflower oil (more calories). In a week or two, I could add a second meal. Eli seemed so hungry that on day two I decided to split his meal and give 1/2 the portion at lunch and another half at dinner. But he was so hungry he ate the whole thing at lunch! He ate another full portion at dinner that night. One week later he's regularly eating two meals a day and has tried (and likes) banana, avocado and apple! Plus, he's already chewing. I was in such a rush to get food on the table that on day three I didn't mash his banana all the way and left some very small chunks. The first time one entered his mouth, he looked perplexed and then promptly chewed! 

I wasn't expecting to have another good eater but I'm glad I do. However, my future grocery bills are already giving me nightmares!
 

(PS I apologize to my favorite college professor, Dr. English, who always told me that I had three exclamation points in life. Use them wisely. Seems like I used them all on this post. Oops.)

No comments: