Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ginger

In one of the many food documentaries I've convinced H to watch over the past few years, there was a scene that's had a big impact on how I raise Tali. The cameras and narrator went into a first grade classroom with a basket of fresh produce and other healthy foods. When asked to identify things such as potatoes, chicken or broccoli, none of the kids could do it. But, they could instantly identify French fries and chicken nuggets. I was horrified - guess the documentary made it's point. I have vowed to teach my children to recognize and eat as many healthy foods as possible.

As Tali and I are at the grocery store at least twice a week, I use some of that time to teach her about these different foods. When we walk through the produce section, I quiz her on what I am putting into the cart. By now she's pretty good and often identifies things that I am not buying. Today one of the items was ginger. I don't use it that often so I didn't expect her to know what it was. I was right. But once I told her it was ginger, her response was "try ginger." I explained to her that I had to cut it first and she could try it later at home. She quickly went back to the mango she was eating and I assumed that was the end of it. Nope.

This afternoon Tali saw a few ingredients for tonight's dinner sitting on the counter. Without me asking, she said, "that's a pepper" and "that's a onion" but then she pointed to the ginger and asked what it was. I told her it was ginger and again she asked to try it. Since I always encourage her to try different foods (and I never tell her she won't like something as I believe she can determine that for herself), I cut her a tiny piece. She ate it, made a face and asked for some milk. After she washed it down, she left the kitchen for a few minutes. Then she reappeared and asked for more ginger! She ate another small bite and again drank some milk.  I had a few more pieces ready for her but I guess that was all she could handle. Even though it was just two pieces, I am impressed. That's a lot of flavor for a 2-year-old!

No comments: