Friday, March 27, 2009

Sleep Deprivation - It's real

Whoever came up with the rule "mom sleeps when the baby sleeps" clearly had no other responsibilities but the baby. No dog to play with and groom. No laundry to do. No meals to cook. No dishes to do. No phone calls to make. No home to maintain. No groceries to purchase. No errands to run. No husband that wants to spend time together. Just taking care of the baby. I'd like to meet that person. No, I'd like to be that person, even if it's just for a few days.

I haven't had a good night's sleep in about a year. When I was pregnant, I was either too nauseous or uncomfortable to sleep through the night. Since Tali has been born, the most she's slept was six straight hours and I got about five that night. And just when I think the sleeping thing is finally getting better, she decides to spice it up. For example, last night she slept four hours and has been awake since 3:45 a.m. She was just awake. There was nothing wrong with her. She just wanted to play. This, unfortunately, happens about once every week or two. She has a good sleep day and then is up at night. It then takes me a day or two to get her back on a schedule of awake during the day/sleep at night. 

For those of you who don't have young kids or don't remember what sleep deprivation is like, it's hard to relate. There is no way to fully explain how exhausting it is. But, you get used to - sort of. You learn to cope. I actually think my body has adjusted itself to fully function on just a few hours sleep. When Tali does start sleeping through the night (which, from what the doctor said will be another few months because she's so small), my body won't know what to do with all of the extra sleep.

I'm sure you are reading this and thinking "why is she blogging when she could be sleeping?" You see, it took me about four hours to get this one post complete. Tali usually takes short naps - 15-30 minutes - and it's not long enough for me to lay down and nap. So I use these little naps to get things done. And today, I've decided to blog.  Hopefully, I'll get a few more done throughout the day. Lots has happened recently and I need to catch up!

No comments: