Thursday, March 5, 2009

Airing out the baby


Some people air out their closets, others air out their shoes, I air out my baby. Yup, starting last week, Tali gets aired out daily. Why? It's because of diaper rash.

About two weeks ago, Tali got her first diaper rash. It took a while to go away and then came back. So I began airing her out after I changed her diaper to help rid the rash and keep a new one from forming. The goal is to do 10-15 minutes of airing out after each change (as long as she doesn't scream). Now if this seems like an easy task to you, then you haven't spent much time around babies. For some reason, an open diaper triggers the pee reflex. In Tali, it can also trigger the poop reflex. So I've developed a system.

I take off Tali's dirty diaper, wipe her clean and pat her dry. Then I put a new diaper under her to catch any pee or poop. Next, I make ridiculous noises (beeps, clicks, etc.) to keep her entertained and happy. If she's having a good time, she kicks her legs, swings her arms and smiles. Kicking the legs means that she moves her diaper away from her. So it becomes a race to put the diaper back under her before something comes out. If she's in a great mood, I take her off the changing table and put her on a towel on the floor. This attracts Jackson. Dogs like to smell so guess where he goes - yup, near the open diaper area. So now I'm watching and playing with her and also keeping Jackson away from that area (which usually means he sits on my lap). It's a scene right out of a sitcom.

All this for a little diaper rash...

No comments: