Tuesday, August 3, 2010

A Great Compliment

Today I took Tali to Baskin Robbins to pick up my birthday cake. She went there for the first time last week, to order the cake, and we shared a kid's cup of mint chocolate chip (my favorite!). As soon as we walked in today, she remembered they have ice cream, went straight to the cooler and started whining for it. I wanted to get in and out quickly so I told her that we weren't going to have ice cream this time. That was not okay with her. So, for the majority of the 15 minutes we were there (it took forever!), she begged for ice cream. And I let her beg.

As we were leaving, one of the customers, an older woman, commended me for not giving in to Tali. She said she sees so many parents that just give in to their kids to keep them quiet and then they have bratty kids and don't understand why.

For me, that was a wonderful compliment. I often get looks that seem to say "just give her what she wants to keep her quiet" and it was refreshing to see someone who gets it. Yes, Tali, I am the boss. You can save it for your therapist.

No comments: