Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Coxsackie

Today I learned that Tali has coxsackie. It's a highly contagious virus in children under 5 years old and very prevalent in the summer. Her first symptoms appeared on Saturday. She threw up Saturday morning and in the evening she developed a fever of 102. By Sunday the fever was gone. On Monday, she developed an usual diaper rash that looked more like chicken pox than a rash. I was told to give it three days and then go to the doctor if it didn't go away. But yesterday she developed blisters on her feet. I thought it might be from her shoes but decided to take her to the doctor today if they didn't go away. I had a feeling that all of these things were related but just didn't know how. In about 5 seconds, the doctor told me Tali had coxsackie. Then she looked at the blisters (there's also one in her mouth) and confirmed that is what she has. Unfortunately, there is no medicine for this. It just has to run its course. It usually takes a week.

I am trying hard to figure out how she got this. It's most common in playgrounds and swimming pools - neither of which she's been to recently. My best guess is that she got it at the grocery store. I put a cover on her cart, but she often lifts it up and touches the handle. Guess I need to start disinfecting the handle before I put he cover on.

No comments: