Friday, February 27, 2009

Denial is not just a river in Egypt

I think I've been in denial. Since Tali came home, I've insisted that she is a good baby. The baby nurse said she was very gassy but I didn't see it. H said she cries a lot but I disagreed. Now I've come to realize that both these things are true. 

She is quite fussy and very gassy. There are moments in the day when she is awake and calm and just looking around, but there are more fussy moments. I believe that this is partially because she is uncomfortable from the gas. So now I am trying to fix that problem. I've been giving her Gripe Water when she seems gassy and it seems to calm her a bit but has not fully changed her. So at the last doctor's visit, we discussed what else can be done.

It is believed that babies are gassy in relation to their diet. So if they are breast fed, it's possible that there is something in their mom's diet that is not agreeing with them. The most common culprit is dairy. This is everything from milk and cheese to yogurt and butter.

So as of Monday afternoon, I have cut dairy from my diet to see if it will make a difference. As someone who has dairy with almost every meal (and often for dessert), this is not easy. But, it will be worth it if Tali's whole attitude changes. If she can go from being uncomfortable and fussy to calm and happy, then it's worth it. 

It's been four days now and I have yet to notice a real difference. But I am going to stick with this. The doctor says it will take a week until I notice any changes. If this doesn't work, then there are a lot of other foods that I might need to eliminate. And even though I miss chocolate and cheese, I hope this works!

No comments: