Thursday, October 7, 2010

Nursery School Update

I've been waiting to write an update because I wanted to get a few more classes under her belt before I reported on how she was doing. But, today Tali had a runny nose (each time it ran, she would come over to me and say "runin" so that I could wipe it) so I kept her home. Therefore, this post only involves Tuesday.

After all the kids had arrived and settled, the teachers told the moms it was time to leave the classroom. At the previous class, Tali was the only one who didn't cry. But when all the moms (but me) came back in to comfort their kids, she cried that I didn't join them. This time, only one girl cried - and she was hysterical. All of those tears made Tali cry so both moms were asked to come back in the room. (To be fair, Tali and this other girl are the youngest in the class and I'm sure that has something to do with it.) The other kids were fine, even with us there. I was hoping that today would be better, but now I'll have to wait until Tuesday to find out.

At snack time, all the moms were invited to come in as it was one of the kids birthdays and the mom brought mini-cupcakes for everyone. The kids were already sitting down with their apple and animal crackers when the cupcakes came out. One girl, upon seeing the cupcakes, poured her plate of apples and crackers on the table then held it out and shouted "cake!" Not Tali. She went right on eating her apple (which she'd been asking for during half of the class). Each kid picked their cupcake, ignored their fruit, and devoured every last crumb. Not Tali. She would eat a bit of the frosting and go back to her apple. After the kids were finished, the moms packed them up and left. Not Tali. She asked for more apple. Tali and I stayed in the room for an extra 15 minutes so she could eat all of the leftover apple that hadn't been served to her classmates. (The teachers were cleaning up so it wasn't as if they were waiting on us.)

In the end, Tali only ate the frosting (and mini M&Ms that were on top) of her cupcake. She was much more interested in the apple. I was very proud to see her make such a healthy choice at such a young age. Hopefully that will continue.

No comments: