Thursday, September 16, 2010

First Day of Nursery School

Yup, that's right. Tali started nursery school today. I'm now the parent of a school-aged child. She'll go two days a week for about two hours. There are two teachers in the classroom and Dan and I met them at Parent's Night yesterday evening. This school has a great reputation for its academics as well as giving children a good Jewish foundation. I'm happy we're sending her there, even if it won't be for the whole four years. (Hopefully we'll buy a house and move at some point before she starts kindergarten!)

Tali's nursery school does a gradual separation process so the moms/nannys are in the room or school for about a month until the child is fully comfortable in the classroom. We sit in the back of the room and are there simply for support, if needed. We don't encourage or play with the kids. There are a total of seven kids in Tali's class (three girls, four boys) and today they were broken up into two groups. Tali came for the first hour with the other girls and one boy. The three other boys came for the second hour. It will be like this for a few classes before all seven kids are in one room together. So today I got to watch her and snap some pictures.

They started off with play time - didn't take any pictures as I didn't want to distract her. Tali went right to the Play-doh and put it in her mouth, of course. Once she realized it didn't taste good, she had a great time playing with it. She also played at their water table and had a blast. After playtime was over, there was circle time and the moms were invited to join and sing songs. Then there was snack (Tali ate everything) and it was time to go.

Tali's first day was very successful. No tears. She didn't cling to me. She only came to me once or twice to show me something. But, she went to my handbag about five times looking/asking for food even though she had a big breakfast. I think she's going to love nursery school. I've already picked out the girl who I believe is going to be her good friend. They're just alike - very outgoing.


At my handbag, looking/asking for food.


Snacktime - apples and graham crackers, yum!

Drinking (spilling) her water in a cubby.

No comments: